Welcome to Mexico!
Click on the image above to begin the Mexico Photo Tour.
As the county seat of Audrain County, we take pride in our part in the history of the Show-Me State. Once known as the "Firebrick Capitol of the World," (fire brick from the City of Mexico is used to line the launch pads at Cape Kennedy), our city is a community-minded, forward-thinking town that has not forgotten its roots in agricultural economy.
The City of Mexico, population 11,320, was founded on April 23, 1836. The Reverend Robert C. Mansfield and James H. Smith entered the land on the which the original town of Mexico was located and filed a plat of the town at Paris, county seat of Monroe County. The town is a few months older than the county - it was not until December 17, 1836, that the legislature passed an act authorizing the organization of the county.
What's Behind Our Name
Early accounts claim our town was named for a tavern sign pointing the way to the war for the independence of Texas. The massacre at the Alamo did in fact take place in March of 1836, and Texas shares its founding year with the City of Mexico and Audrain County. However, the original act founding the town provided for it to be named "New Mexico," and it is likely that the settlers believed that calling their home simply "Mexico" would bring growth and popularity to the town. (Read more about what's behind our name
Well-Known Mexico Figures
The City of Mexico has sent two native sons to the capitol in Jefferson City, governors Charles H. Hardin and Christopher S. Bond. Former Lieutenant Governor Joe Maxwell also call Mexico home.
The residents of the City of Mexico are moving toward the future with the same determination shown by the pioneers that first settled this state. We are proud of our community, and hope you enjoy this tour!
View the Mexico Photo Tour
to see past and present images of our beautiful town.